Thursday, September 03, 2009

Two months ago, I had the opportunity to travel to Jakarta for work. At first, I was excited. Who's not when you get to stay at a 5-start hotel for free, eat for free and on top of that, you have travel allowances. But WTH, after 2 weeks there, my heart is yearning to come home. Not sure if it's a sign of getting mature (rather than OLD) and craving to have a stable (and BORING) life. Haha...
kinda miss my room
It was quite an experience I had there. Aside from the friendly people (well at least in the office), I'm actually quite surprised when I visited some malls there. Everywhere I turned, there are pleant of pretty and hot chicks. I'm impressed at the way they dress up and their styles. Hmmm...Maybe those malls I went were quite high class (similar to Pavillion).
Everyday, I took a taxi to and from office. Some taxi drivers are nice. Most think that they are 'King of the Road'. It's a mandatory to be able to weave in and out during heavy traffic. Talking about traffic, it's REALLY bad here during peak hours. But then again, I guess it's the same in all big cities.I had a short day trip around the city and visited the main tourist attractions.
Among them:
Muzium Gajah (their national museum)
small little symbolic elephant in front of the musuem
China Town (which is similar like our old Petaling Street- not the current state where it's dominated by foreigners)
Shops selling snacks of all kind in China Town
buah lontar, tastes like cocnut and very refreshing
Sunda Kelapa port (which I witnessed great balancing act of workers carrying heavy sacks across a tiny wooden planks between the ship and ground)
one slip and you'll be in the water
Taman Fatahillah (which served as anadministrative center of Batavia (Jakarta) in the 18th century).
a stone marker on one of the oldest building in town
a make shift tailor near the square
prison cell, gave me an eerie feel
It's a historical journey around Jakarta. I went to this Taman Mini also which is kind of like our Taman Mini in Melaka but this is way bigger and more well maintained. It features all the traditional houses in Indonesia as well as replicas of historical monuments. It was a huge park and I think I managed to burn some fats walking around it.
The hotel I stayed is a 5-star hotel and the service and facilities there are great. Staff will smile and greet you wherever you are, press the lift for you, send you fruits, etc etc. I sent 4 blouses and 2 pants to the laundry and it came back clean, fresh and well-ironed (and with a bill of RM 100+). Well, maybe I haven't stayed in many luxurious hotels so I am very impressed with the services.hotel lobby
view from my room, this was during the presidential campaign
ps: I'm still not used to being called 'bu' after two weeks there. Still makes me feel olddd...
pps: I'm disappointed I didn't get to visit the safari as it was a bit far from Jakarta. A trip to Jakara next year, anyone?

2 comments:

cy said...

registering myself here for the trip ...

Admired UCHY said...

amoi, the word very small la...