Friday, August 06, 2010

Ambitions?

When I was 8, the teacher would asks us, what do we want to be when we grow up. My answer then would be - a teacher. Cannot blame me as that is the profession I know best as I've just started school. And I am glad in a way that I did not pursue in that profession. I cannot imagine myself being a teacher.

When I was 12, I wanted to be a veterinarian. My priority each day after school is to play with the puppies behind my house. I am indeed very much into animals then and still is now.I wanted to know more of them and to be able to help them when they are sick.

When I was 17, I begin to explore. The adventurous side of me is growing. I wanted to see the world. And thus, I am very much into travelling. I wanted a career in the tourism industry. I dream of travelling the world by being a tour guide.

When I was 18, I was made to choose a field to study in college. First choice is of course, veterinary. Second choice being tourism. But due to some reasons, I am being persuaded to take up computing. And so now, I am stuck in this line. I'm not person who is particularly IT savvy. Put me in programming and networking, I'll be out of the door in no time. But surprisingly, I am still surviving in this industry until now.

Once, when I was so fed up with the IT line, at the age of 26, I thought of pursuing my dreams. I am always curious of what tourims studies is all about. I enrolled myself in the course. And got a diploma with flying colours. But now, the cert is locked somewhere in my drawer.

I dreamt of being a travel writer. I dreamt of exploring the world and learning about animals in different countries. That will definitely be a combo for me.I am green with envy for those who get paid to travel and shae their experiences.

Question:So, why am I still sitting here, in front of the PC, in a comfortable air conditioned office? Why didn't I take the first step?

Answer: I am a coward. I dare not take the plunge and step out of the comfort zone. I have to start from the bottom of the ladder if I were to change career now. I am not willing to take risk. I am scared of the things I have to give up.

And so, that's the pathetic story of my career.

The End.

5 comments:

KA said...

i was thinking of becoming a travel food reviewer....too bad it ain't happening with so much commitment on hands...

KA said...

not to mention gym trainer too...

cy said...

when i was young, i wanted to be a lawyer :P but, i hated to memorize things!!! the law language ... #*(&@$

for me, i'm thinking of becoming those people behind a production of an event or concert ...

but, here i am, a coward too ...
i guess, not everyone gets to do what they dream of ...

anechoic said...

u all are not coward..just trying to escape reality..afraid not. embrace destiny cuz is who u are meant to be..lol

Su said...

for me, last time always change mind every year but I remember radio DJ

many years later a.k.a now honestly, I don't really have ambition (career wise)..all I want is just to be a good mother..haha
I feel it's the most challenging & fulfilling career ever =)

some people get to live their dream, some don't so I feel we just need to make good use of our life =)