Saturday, March 14, 2009

Lessons from the slum...

Slumdog Millionaire does not appeal to me when it was first opened in the cinema but due to all the publicity and all the attention it received from the Academy Awards, I can't contain the curiosity on what is so great about that movie.
I guess people nowadays like to watch something real (as in all the reality shows popping up), something that shows the daily lives of other people.
The movie depicts the life of the poverty stricken community in Mumbai where the children roams freely without enough to eat let alone have the privilege of education. Many begs but most will steal and cheat their way for some food. I've witnessed something similar in Delhi itself. It was not as bad but I've saw children begging and knocking on cars' windows at the traffic light.
I remember one incident when a little boy kept following us. He offers to polish my colleague's shoe with a small fee. He was very persistant, so my colleague decided to just give him some rupees but he refused. He said that he must earn his money and insist in polishing shoes before receiving the rewards.
I've been brought for a tour in the older part of Delhi. I've been in old streets, tasted roadside stalls and witnessed the lives of a normal mid-income family. It is so much different from what we are having here. We can learn more actually by witnessing all these. We tend to take things for granted. We tend to complain when we face some obstacles. We tend to grumble when things don't go according to the way we wanted it.
Anyway, back to Slumdog, the movie is not bad actually. Go watch it if you haven't...

4 comments:

Admired UCHY said...

I just back from this movie. Really not bad. Worth the $$ even I was second row from the screen.

Su said...

i've just watched this movie few days back and think it's a new genre of good movie.

At first, from the title 'Slumdog Millionaire' I was expecting some movie like the 'Pursuit of Happyness', however, this movie has exceeded my expectation.

like you said keef, sometimes we 'shen zoi fook chung but ci fook' ... 'live in happiness but doesn't know'

i really like jamal 'never give up no matter what attitude' i salute him.

anechoic said...

ya..and u guys think ur job was tough...

:p

Unknown said...

Admired UCHY:second row?? gosh...hope you didn't have neck pain after that...hehe
Su:so...we should nvr give up so easily ya...
anechoic:that's what I am telling myself everyday...