Monday, April 06, 2009

I love Lucy

I had many many many many pets before. Since young I grew up loving the stray dogs and cats at the back of my house. I still remember coming home from school sometimes and go straight to the backyard to play with the puppies. I had endless supply of puppies because there was a female dog that we named 'Pak Kao' (white dog -as she has white fur) which gave birth many times a year. Those were the days before I got Lucy.
Lucy has been with me for more than 10 years...She came from my sis's friend. I still remember the first time we saw her, together with her brothers and sisters. I knew instantly that she is the one. She stood out from the rest, not only because she is white but she is the tiniest of all. First few weeks of taking care of her was not an easy feat. She was very tiny and quite weak. We fed her milk from baby bottle and when she was strong enough to eat on her own, we gave her bread soaked in milk. She has small appetite, even until now. She barely finishes a bowl of rice sometimes.
Lucy never caused any trouble. During teething, of course she did damage a few shoes and chewable things. She is not exactly the most mischievous dog but she has her own fair share of mischief. She likes playing tug-o-war. She will go crazy whenever you throw a cloth at her and started tugging. Most of the time, she wins. One of her weaknesses is she doesn't know how to avoid moving vehicles. She got us chasing madly after her when she got excited and ran out. But after a few 'coaching' sessions, she doesn't dare to do that anymore.
Everytime we were about to go out, she sat and stared at us with sad eyes. And when we came home, she jumped happily as if she hadn't seen us for a long time. Lucy seldom barks at strangers and therefore she cannot be a good watchdog. Oh ya ...Lucy is extremely scared of thunders and firecrackers. Every Chinese New Year, she will spent half the time inside the house and this drives my mum up the wall.
But as of late, she doesn't do those things anymore. She moves slower now. No more tug-of-war, no more jumping around. I've been spending much time with her. Her breathing seems quite unstable at times. She's old but I know she has lived this 10 years happily. I am spending more time with her nowadays as I know there won't be another Lucy for me. She might not understand but I am grateful she has brought many happy moments and memories for the past decade.

No comments: