Saturday, July 06, 2013

Lasik

I went for my annual eye check up in Optimax on Thursday. Sitting in the waiting area, I can't believe it has been 4 years since my Lasik. I don't remember blogging about it. So here it is, the day I went specs-free, which I still remember vividly.
So, we went early one Saturday morning to TTDI Optimax. I chose optimax because it was highly recommended by friends who've been through it. I have no idea if I would be able to get the surgery done on the same day as I need to go through a thorough eye test to see if I am suitable for Lasik.
We were whisked into a consulting room and an optometrist explained in detail about the procedure. After the crash course on Lasik, I was then brought to a room with several machines to check my eyes- the pressure, the thickness of my cornea, etc. I was given a few eye drops to numb and dilate my eyeballs. It stings! After a couple of minutes, my vision began to blur (I can't even read a magazine) and the lights are so glaring that I had to wear sunglasses.
So after another counseling session, we decided to do the Lasik on the same day. I know if I wait another day, I might chicken out. I was pretty nervous at this point but I put on a brave face. We even went to have KFC as we need to wait a couple of hours until my pupils are fully dilated.
As the hour closes in, I was getting more nervous and anxious. What if the procedure went wrong? All sorts of thoughts crossed my mind. I think I might have a million butterflies in my stomach then. When my name was called, I was brought into a room, had the surgery suit put on me and then Dr Stephen, who will be doing the procedure, explained to me again what will be happening in the next 15 mins.
I think I was pretty freaked out at that moment but I tried to remain as calm as possible.

As I lay on the table, my eyelids are taped and clamped so I won't get to blink. Dr Stephen was telling me gently to just relax and focus on the light. There were red/green lights and some bright white spots. After about 5 minutes, I was told to sit up and a nurse helped me walk to another room with different machine. After another 10 minutes of staring at bright lights, it's done! Yes, I was surprised that it took less than 20 minutes. I can open my eyes but my vision as blur as without glasses. NO pain or any sensation at all.
I was told that I need to rest my eyes as much as I can and I will be able to see clearly the next morning.
I was glad that I went through Lasik. I don't have 20/20 vision (I was told that nobody has 20/20 vision) but my astigmatism and shortsightedness are reduced to a minimum.
One thing for sure, I didn't smell any burnt smell. :P

No comments: