Monday, May 27, 2013

White or brown?

I was doing some groceries the other day. And eggs are definitely on my list (who can live without eggs?) :P
So, back in home country, most of our chicken eggs are brown unless those salted ones with white shell. I took half a dozen of eggs from the shelf and I opened the egg carton to make sure all of them are intact.
I'm a bit surprised to find them in white. I put it back and took another different brand. It's the same. I checked and checked twice to make sure those are chicken eggs.
So, out of curiosity, I googled it.

And here is what Mr Wikipedia says:
Egg shell color is caused by pigment deposition during egg formation in the oviduct and can vary according to species and breed, from the more common white or brown to pink or speckled blue-green. In general, chicken breeds with white ear lobes lay white eggs, whereas chickens with red ear lobes lay brown eggs. Although there is no significant link between shell color and nutritional value, there is often a cultural preference for one color over another.

Ooo...so that's the explanation. Silly me...
White eggs                  Brown eggs

1 comment:

Lawsh said...

err, i think salted eggs are duck eggs so ... its got nothing to do with colored chicken eggs :p