Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The weaker side...


For those of you who know me well, you will know that I am not someone who falls in the extrovert side of the chart. I can be friendly, but I am not someone who will be the life of a party. I am more of a listener. I like listening and asking questions but when you put me on the spot to talk about myself, I will be tongue-tied. And it happens even in a small group, let alone in front of a crowd. No matter how much I practiced  or how much I prepared, when it comes to presenting, my mind just goes blank. This is one of my biggest weakness.
I do envy people who can express themselves well. I look at the CEO, the managers and even some colleagues and secretly wished that I can talk like that. Throughout years of labor in the working world, it's no rocket science that those who speaks well, tends to go up the organisation chart faster. Don't get me wrong, I am not aiming to go up the ranks, I know I am not into management roles. But it does help tremendously if I can convey my thoughts well enough to make people respect me a little bit more. To make them to listen to my ideas and what I got to say and be persuaded by it.
So, I will try my best from now onward, to learn the art of communication. I plan to join toastmaster or take up personal training to improve myself. But I guess, most importantly, I need to start taking small steps daily.

PS: Having said that, it's so tiring to try to stay on top of the game.

No comments: