Thursday, April 18, 2013

Puke'y

The topic for lunch the other day...how puke'y we were when young. LOL...
I am glad I found someone who has similar experience as me.
When I was young, I get motion sickness very easily. Well, actually, I still get motion sickness until now la. Some people say that it's all in the mind. But I have really tried to not think about it but maybe my mind is not that powerful.
I remember my first few days in primary school. Though a short distance away but once we were stuck in the jam (i was carpooling then). I know it's going to hit me already. The dizziness/nausea. Couldn't hold it back and I puke in the car, all over my school uniform. The aunty driver had no choice but to send me back home. And this goes into later years when I am taking the school bus. I always have plastic bags ready and will try not to move around so much onboard.
Even now, when I travel, I will pop one or two motion sickness pill. For me it helps tremendously. Yes, I get motion sick when travelling on planes as well (especially long haul ones). At times, I really wish to not have this 'problem'. I wish I can read more when stuck in jam or in moving LRT/trains.

Symptoms:
Dizziness, fatigue, and nausea
Cause (from WIKI):
In laymen terms, brain and eye does not agree. The brain senses movement, but the eyes doesn't. Brain thought it's hallucination and caused by poison. So as  a defense mechanism, brain will induce vomit to clear the supposed "poison".
Treatment:
1. Wear a device that block motion outside a moving vehicle. Honestly, not sure how this works.
2. Look into the horizon of the travel destination.
3. I find fresh cool air helps me a lot.
4. Chewing gum
5. Take medication - my best travel buddy. Can't fly without it.
6. Taking ginger ale (should try this next time)

So, when I am unusually quiet when in the car/train/plane, please don't talk to me. I might be fighting back the urge to puke....and it's not going to be a pretty sight/ smell if I do.



1 comment:

anechoic said...

i think play more games help. eye, brain and hand coordination..haha